Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Finally, a Night at Home!

How wonderful it was to actually have a home-cooked meal that we all ate together! No one had meetings tonight so it's been nice catching up with each other & enjoying each other's company. Last night both Paul & I each had meetings. Paul had village board & I had open house at school. Neither one of us got home real late, but late enough that it seemed we said hi, gave Zoe a bath, & then did the nightly chores (letting Zoe pick her clothes out for the next day, setting the dishwasher on delay so it would run in the middle of the night, etc.) before heading to bed. Sometimes I feel that I'm a robot - about the time I'm ready to sit down & relax it's time to go to bed so I can get up the next morning & do the same thing over & over. Do you ever feel like that?

Yesterday I took half a sick day because Zoe had a dentist appointment to get two cavities filled. Paul was supposed to take her but he had to make arrangements with a family so it was left to me to go or reschedule for the FOURTH time. After discussing it, Paul & I decided I better just go ahead & take her. I was very proud of Zoe as was Dr. Kevin. She did wonderful. (Good thing because she has to have one more cavity filled in a couple of weeks. However, it might not be as easy next time because Dr. Kevin might have to numb the area with a shot because of where the cavity is.) I questioned Dr. Kevin about Zoe's teeth because the next filling will equal a total of 4 in her mouth. I was worried that we were not doing everything we should - we brush, floss (Zoe's favorite - Can you imagine?!), & swish with anticavity fluoride rinse. He explained to me that he thinks our approach with her teeth is great; she might just be prone to cavities because of not having fluoride nor vitamins her first 15 months while living in the Chinese orphanage. His suggestion is that when her permanent teeth starting coming in we have sealants put in one by one instead of waiting for all of them to come in.

Today was Zoe's first day of four-year old pre-school. When I picked her up she told me that she had a good day. She was very excited about reuniting with some of her friends, but also about making new friends. I didn't get to take her this morning, but Paul said that she looked so grown up partly because she had her backpack over her shoulders just like a little school girl. Makes me smile, but also kind of makes me sad. My little girl is growing up too fast. It seems like yesterday we received our referral from the FedEx driver & looked at her picture for the very first time. I must admit, it WAS love at first site.

No comments: