Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Another Day Closer to Summer Vacation!

I know, I know, I just went back to work & I am already talking about summer vacation! I just can't help myself. I had such a good summer with Zoe that I am looking forward to next June, July, & part of August! Paul & I have already decided we will be going to the beach - Gulf Shores or Dauphin Island, Alabama - for vacation. We love it there & it is sooooooo relaxing!

School was good today. It was my first full day with students. Today was pretty light so tomorrow we will start getting down to business. As many of you know, I am the union president for the teachers at my school. I am happy to report that we ratified our new contract for the next three years by voting unanimously! Our school board ratified it also so we are excited. I am proud to report that we will be getting a 4.5% raise the first year & a 4% raise the second & third years. Pretty darn good. (especially since in the 9 years I have been in the district we have only gotten a raise 1 time!!!!)

Zoe had a good day at daycare. When I picked her up she had to show me a headband that Miss Amanda (one of her daycare teachers) had made for her to wear in Miss Amanda's wedding in September. It looks so cute on. Miss Amanda's wedding is going to be outside & she is having fall colors. Zoe is the flower girl & her dress is a cream color outlined in chocolate. It looks gorgeous on Zoe. She is so excited to be in Miss Amanda's wedding. In fact, Zoe has told Paul & I several times that she is very lucky to be in the wedding because Miss Amanda could have picked anyone from her class, but Miss Amanda picked her!!!! Pretty cool, huh?

Well, most of my college neighborhood kids have gone back to school. I have two more leaving this weekend. Not sure what I am going to do. We are so used to having a couple of them over 3 or 4 times a week. Paul says it's gonna be quiet. He's probably right. With them being gone, it just means that I have to start sending more care packages. I have had a few customers inquire about sending care packages to their college students through my business - Packaged with Care. Today I received an e-mail from one of my former students who is presently serving in Iraq with the Army & who I have sent a few packages to. He was wondering if I would consider sending a package to some of the people in his platoon that never receives any kind of mail. So, me, being the softy that I am, said of course. Can you imagine being stationed in Iraq, fighting for our country, & never receiving a thing? How heartbreaking! So, this weekend will be spent getting some packages together. Hopefully they will put smiles on those far away from home & will spread some cheer among those fighting for our freedom. (I figure it's the least I can do!)

No comments: